Wednesday, March 25, 2015

A simple easter craft with foam eggs

Today the crafting bug bit me hard. I supposed its because I have been thinking of spring and easter and decorating. I decided to step away from the internet for a little while and craft some easter eggs to decorate the house with. I had picked up these foam easter eggs at the Dollar Tree the last time I had been in there and thought today was the day to work with them.

At first I was going to try painting them with acrylic paint and I may still do that if I can find more eggs, but I didn't want to sit around waiting for the paint to dry and I wasn't sure how the paint would set on the foam. So, I decided to use my every trusty Sharpie pens and create some eggs.
The first one as you can see, was just a basic striped one. I tried to replicate the way I used to dye colored eggs when I was a kid and that one was the result. I didn't think it was bad except I will say the yellow marker really doesn't pop the way some of the other colors do and the markers I have only has one shade of yellow. The next one I went with the polka dot effect using different colors and sizes of dots. I really like the way that one came out.
The third I have to admit was a bit of a failed attempt at first but it came out alright. I had heard you can get some really cool tye dye effects with Sharpies and rubbing alcohol. I colored one in vertical stripes in colors I thought would be nice when they blended. I went and got a bowl and put some rubbing alcohol in it and dabbed with a paper towel. Nothing happened except maybe the ink faded a little. There was no tye dye effect and I can only assume that the foam is too porous and the ink was already absorbed into the egg. Oh well nothing ventured nothing gained.

Next egg was another MAJOR FAIL lol but at least I am learning. I wanted to make a glitzy glitter egg so I pulled my silver and gold glitter out and poured some into a bowl. Took my paint brush and painted glue all over the egg and then rolled it in the bowl. Well glue didn't stick to all the egg so I had big patches of white egg showing. I got glue out of the containers and tried sprinkling on the bald spots and it worked some but still big empty spots on the egg. I spent a good 30 minutes covering the egg in glitter and making a huge mess with glitter on the floor, all over my hands and covering my work area. Right now, my glitzy semi bald egg is drying on the work table. Im thinking when I pick it up to spray sealer over it, the glitter is just going to fall off. So this one I label my failure egg.
So after my ego taking a bruising over my failure at being really crafty and creative, I went back to what I know. Coloring eggs in different ways with Sharpies. The last two came out nice. Overall I was happy with my easter creation. I had an empty plastic mayo jar that I tied a very pretty blue flowery ribbon on and I put the eggs inside sans the glitter mess. They are now sitting on my wood stove and my home is beginning to have that Spring and Easter feel to it.
This would be a great crafting project if you have kids home on Spring Break and don't want to deal with messy dyes. I would probably not use Sharpie's if they are young though because it still can be messy. I would suggest using Crayola Washable Markers if you are doing this with young children. I was careful and I still got some stain on my worktable at first. The ink doesn't dry right away so if you set it on a table or something without a newspaper, it will stain. Luckily I was able to remove it from the table with some rubbing alcohol. Go figure, it won't tye dye the eggs but it will remove it ( thank goodness) from a table.



No comments:

Post a Comment